A reason to go to Bergen
Many European cities have exhibitions that give people a reason to visit the city.
– We don’t need to look far. Copenhagen is such a city. In Bergen, KODE has managed to achieve this with Munch and Astrup. «A reason to go» is when someone travels to a city for the main purpose of visiting an exhibition or attraction. We believe that «Legends in Gold» is the type of exhibition that will give people a reason to travel to Bergen, and not least get the people of Bergen out of their armchairs, she says.
– Will the exhibition have a spill-over effect?
– For Bergen and the West of Norway, definitely. This is such a major attraction that it will have a spill-over effect on tourism. We should also remember that the «whole world» will be coming to Bergen in the autumn for the UCI 2017 Road World Championships in September. We hope that this exhibition will help to promote Bergen as a tourist destination to a large audience.
Having the «Legends of Gold» exhibition at Bryggens Museum will probably open the door for other big and valuable exhibitions in the future. We have high ambitions for the museum, says the museum director.
The exhibition will open at Bryggens Museum at the beginning of September 2017.
– The opening programme has not yet been finalised, but there will be high level political participation from both Norway and Bulgaria, says Nielsen.
She also thinks that Norwegians will gain a different perspective on Bulgaria after having visited the exhibition, as a contrast to charter tours and cheap alcohol. Bulgaria also offers sophisticated culture, fantastic architecture, statues, artefacts and amphitheatres, as well as everything else that is usually associated with Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire.
– The rich Bulgarian cultural heritage, a culture that is relatively unknown for most people, will definitely be in focus at Bryggens Museum this autumn, concludes Nielsen.